12.14.2010

Second-Hand Enchiladas

Leftovers are a staple in my family's refrigerator. We often intentionally cook more than we can eat in one sitting, just so we can have leftovers the next day. Sometimes the Tupperware contents can be the best source of inspiration for a dish. Just the other day I was the only one home for dinner and was scrounging for ideas in the fridge. I came across three small containers from three separate meals and I asked myself, "what could I make with leftover pork tenderloin, onion-jalapeno relish, and crushed tomato sauce?" And then in came to me: Pork Enchiladas. (When in doubt, I always go Mexican...plus I haven't made enchiladas much so I thought I would give it a trial run). I was pretty satisfied with the way my experiment came out and was proud that I successfully cleaned out three leftover containers in one dish. (They probably would have sat in there for days...) Here's the recipe, along with a picture of my creation (a little food photography practice...)

PORK ENCHILADAS

Ingredients:
1 whole wheat tortilla
2 slices leftover pork tenderloin, chopped
1 cup crushed tomato sauce with garlic
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
leftover onion-jalapeno relish
black beans
fresh cilantro, chopped
shredded mozzarella cheese


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a medium skillet, heat crushed tomato sauce over medium heat. Add chopped pork and jalapeno pepper; heat through.
3. Take tortilla and add a generous amount of the tomato-pork mixture from the skillet. Top with onion-jalapeno relish, black beans and cilantro. Roll up tortilla and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle rolled tortilla with cheese and top with additional tomato mixture if desired.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese melts and tortilla is slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment