RUSTIC FOUR-SEED BREAD
[Adapted from Bon Appetit's Sesame and Sunflower Whole-Wheat Bread]
Flax, caraway, sunflower and sesame team up in this hearty seed-packed loaf. Toasted sesame oil perfumes it with a unique flavor, and cracked wheat gives it an extra-rustic texture.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 envelope dry yeast
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup bulgar wheat (cracked wheat)
1/4 cup flax seeds
2 Tbsp caraway seeds
2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus more as needed
1/2 cup shelled, roasted sunflower seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds, black and white
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp rolled oats
2 tsp caraway seeds
1. Combine 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast in large bowl. Heat milk, honey and sesame oil in small saucepan over medium heat to 115 dgF, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in cracked wheat, salt, and about 1/4 cup flax seeds and 2 tablespoons caraway seeds. Slow mix in the all purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time to form soft, slightly sticky dough.
2. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, adding more all purpose flour if very sticky, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil large bowl. Mold dough into a round and brush with oil. Place ball of dough into the bowl and cover with kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
3. Lightly flower a work surface, removed dough from bowl and punch down. Fold in sunflower seeds and 3 tablespoons sesame seeds. Knead until smooth.
4. Divide dough in half. (I baked one in a rectangular bread pan and one on a baking sheet; choose whichever shape you prefer). Press half of the dough evenly into a greased bread pan. Shape the other half into a 1 1/2-inch-thick round. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover both loaves and let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 375 dgF. Using sharp knife, cut an "X" about 1/8-inch-deep into the round loaf. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil over top of both loaves. Sprinkle with oats and caraway seeds. Bake until loaves are brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Can't wait to make this in the next few days! thanks for the recipe.ReplyDelete
I just made your kale pizza last week and it was so good!
Happy to hear you enjoyed the pizza!Delete