3.04.2012

Walnut Oil Granola


When it comes to granola, I tend to steer nutty/savory versus fruity/sweet. Not to say that I don't love a good currant punctuating the scene, but when the sugar overpowers the flavor of the toasted nuts and oats, something's not right in my book. The version I typically use as a foundation (from which the variations are limitless) is inspired by Nekisia Davis' addictive Olive Oil and Maple Granola, recently featured as a "Genius Recipe" on FOOD52.  Hers packs in the nuts (pecans, pepitas, sunflower seeds), incorporates coconut flakes, and, what I particularly love is the richness that olive oil brings to the mix as it bakes into and around the ingredients. Its savory quality serves to balance the double whammy of maple syrup and brown sugar (measurements of which I've since pared down for my own re-creation). 


This batch brings a new oil to the fold: the omega-3 superstar -- walnut oil. What better opportunity to celebrate the nutty flavor of the walnuts I (liberally) tossed into the oats, than by lacing the mix with a complementary oil? After a 30 minute bake, the granola emerges from the oven -- nuts roasted to perfection, oats beautifully browned and clump-less -- the whole thing wrapped in a deep, smoky flavor that only a nut oil could achieve. Maple syrup delivers the right amount of sappy sweetness, and coconut shards provide a flakey comrade to mingle with the crunch. I'm downing it by the handful. 


WALNUT OIL GRANOLA 

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 
1 cup whole roasted almonds, unsalted 
1 cup natural walnuts, coarsely crushed 
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips 
1/4 cup natural flax seeds 
1/4 cup maple syrup 
1/3 cup walnut oil 
2-3 Tbsp brown sugar 
course sea salt, to taste

other add-ins
nutmeg & cinnamon, to taste

Preheat oven to 300. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and spread evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment). Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10, until toasted. Allow to cool completely before serving or storing. Lasts several weeks in an airtight container/jar.

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I like where you're coming from with respect to savoury granola. Nuts and oats conjure up saltiness to me, too. As a walnut lover, I may just try this recipe tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really blend well together. This is what I need to keep me perked for a busy day ahead. I love healthy breakfast options. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post and pictures! i'm making it right now!! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's wonderful!! love that it's not overly sweet. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though Walnut Oil is used in cookery, it is outstanding skin care oil that leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth, and you feeling great.

    ReplyDelete