6.29.2012

Maple-Cardamom Glazed Salmon

I've made this salmon countless times. It's a quick-to-be-executed favorite, equally fit for a dinner party or a weeknight meal, and, as I painter, I can't help but relish the fact that it involves one of my favorite utensils: a brush. With loaded strokes, I slather the fish in a delicious overcoat of maple syrup and cardamom -- a pair that strikes a beautiful chord between sugar and spice. Smoky paprika and cayenne pepper finish the glaze with a hit of heat, and after a stint in the oven, the salmon emerges dripping in caramelization. For an even smokier finish, I recommend grilling it on a wood plank over charcoal.

MAPLE-CARDAMOM GLAZED SALMON 

1 pound wild salmon filet, de-boned  
1/4 cup maple syrup 
 2 teaspoons ground cardamom 
1 teaspoon smoked paprika 
 pinch cayenne pepper 
 salt and pepper 

1. Preheat oven to 450 dgF. In a small bowl combine maple syrup, cardamom, paprika, cayenne and a bit of freshly ground pepper. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Adjust to taste.

2. Arrange salmon filet on a cutting board. Remove the bones (if your fishmonger hasn't already) and cut into pieces, size as preferred. Brush syrup mixture evenly over the salmon filets. Place a large cast iron skillet into the oven and allow it to heat up for about 5 to 10 minutes while the salmon rests.

3. Place the salmon in the preheated skillet (scale-side down) and cook for about 10 minutes. Brush more glaze onto the salmon and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the salmon is cooked to your liking. (Time will vary depending on thickness of fish and preferred pink-ness of interior).

7 comments:

  1. This sounds so good, I eat a lot of salmon and for some reason I've never cooked it with a glaze before. Yours sounds like one I should try, and it's so easy to put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That maple glaze sounds fabulous--spicy and sweet at the same time. :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about you the other day when I was starring at a giant piece of tuna. What would you do with that? It's about time for our cooking session again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently found your blog and can't wait to try this recipe! Anything that incorportates cardamom is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really interested in what you wrote here. This looks absolutely perfect. All these tinny details are give me a lot of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete