11.27.2010

Sweet Relief for a Tryptophan Coma

Two Thanksgiving staples that accompany the turkey on our table each year: mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. We have since elevated our cranberry relish above the canned, gelatinous variety that my grandma used to bring (I remember the thick suction sound as it would slide out of the jar, coming to a wobbly rest on one flat end...mmm). A similar reinvention of the mashed potato has come in the addition of a new variety -- the sweet potato (mostly out of my personal distaste for Yukon Golds and the seasonal popularity of its sweeter cousin). Surpassing the stuffing, wild rice, turkey, corn, bread and salad, the two stars on my Thanksgiving plate this year were my aunt's Cranberry-Orange Relish (which I generously lathered over my turkey for an absolutely fabulous pairing) and my own creation: Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans.

My aunt was kind enough to share her recipe for the Cranberry-Orange Relish, which is ridiculously simple -- it requires no cooking and a mere 5 ingredients.


CRANBERRY-ORANGE RELISH

Ingredients:
cranberries
oranges
orange zest
sugar
cinnamon

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor; pulse until a minced consistency.

We also had a chunky Cranberry-Apple relish at our table, but my preference went to this citrus version, as its flavor added a unique punch to the plate and its consistency made it the perfect accompaniment to the turkey.
____________________________________

The sweet potato dish that I made was an adaptation from one that my dad recently saw in Cooking Light: Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole. The recipe calls for a butter-brown sugar streusel to top the casserole, which I chose to omit this time since I felt it made the dish sweet enough to be dessert (I couldn't have it competing with the pies...) So, streusel aside, here is the sweet potato side that I served:


SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECANS

Ingredients:
14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
3. Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. (I just used a masher to combine and left the texture slightly less creamy, but just as delicious).
4. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle pecans on top.
5. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the potatoes are thoroughly heated.

I made this dish the night before and just popped it in the oven for about 30-45 minutes before serving. EIther there wasn't enough, or it was quite a hit, because there was only a spoonful of leftovers at the end of the night. Culinary success.

No comments:

Post a Comment