1.27.2011

Glorified Egg Sandwich



Sandwiches are one of my favorite things to make. Between two slices of bread, the possibilities are endless. This open-faced version is a winning combination of ingredients -- I found it in CookingLight magazine and was initially skeptical when it paired arugula, ricotta and a fried egg. But after tasting the sandwich, I was hooked. (The first time I made it, I didn't have ricotta so I swapped in cottage cheese, which is a tasty alternative). I've made it more times than I can count and whenever I'm craving a hearty sandwich with interesting flavors, this one always delivers in a savory-breakfast kind of way.

OPEN-FACED SANDWICH WITH ARUGULA, RICOTTA AND FRIED EGG

1 multigrain ciabatta, toasted
2 eggs
1/2 cup ricotta
1 tsp thyme
2 cups arugula
Sliced red onion, optional

1. Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray. Crack two eggs into the pan; cook for 2 minutes. Cover, and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until whites are set.
2. Slice ciabatta in half and toast until browned.
3. Combine ricotta and thyme in a small bowl. 
4. Top each half of the toasted ciabatta with half of the arugula, ricotta mixture, and onion, if using. Top each with a fried egg and garnish with more fresh thyme.


No comments:

Post a Comment