6.08.2011

Shades of Green


To satisfy my craving for honeydew today I incorporated the melon into a salad-- cucumber, arugula and mint star alongside the honeydew in a celebration of the verde hue. When my mother told me to eat my greens, I don't think she thought I would take it quite so literally. But despite the consistency in color, each ingredient in this dish contributes a distinctly unique flavor. With its sweet honeydew, fresh cucumber and peppery arugula all cloaked in the cool zing of mint, this salad is the perfect light and refreshing foil to a hot summer day. (In fact, cucumbers are naturally prone to stay 20 degrees cooler than their environment, so the dish is practically guaranteed to have a cooling effect). It's so refreshing that I wouldn't be surprised if it also has potential as a revitalizing face mask in a pureed form...

HONEYDEW AND CUCUMBER SALAD WITH ARUGULA AND MINT

Ingredients:

2 cups honeydew balls (about 1/2 whole honeydew)
2 cups cucumber
2 cups arugula
2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp mint, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, shaved
1 Tbsp lime juice
A pinch of sea salt

Directions:
1. Use melon baller to scoop honeydew from its rind. Cut cucumber into quarters lengthwise and then cut into triangular chunks. Combine honeydew and cucumber (approximately 2 cups of each) in a bowl with 2 cups of arugula.
2. Add red onion, mint, shaved ginger, lime juice and a pinch of sea salt; toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment