6.23.2011

Stack of the Day


Avocado, cottage cheese, grilled zucchini, arugula and feta with honey balsamic drizzle on whole-wheat toast

This sandwich was inspired by a recipe for a sushi-like appetizer that rolls avocado and feta inside slices of grilled zucchini. Honey Balsamic Grilled Zucchini with Avocado and Feta was entered by sweetlife for food52's Your Best Summer Squash Recipe contest. It is a really interesting combination of flavors -- a touch of sweetness from the marinade, saltiness from the feta and slight tang from the lemon juice in the mashed avocado make each bite an adventure for the tastebuds. My only qualm is that it lacks diversity in texture -- the ingredients are consistently smooth and soft -- I found myself craving a crunch to balance it out. So I decided to reinvent it as an open-faced sandwich. Whole-wheat toast provides a structural platform on which to spread the avocado and cottage cheese, while the addition of arugula gives it a fresh crunch to balance out the soft grilled zucchini. Delicious app turned delicious meal, with flavors and textures to please all.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 28, 2011

    My family thinks I'm weird for liking cottage cheese, but I love it! I've put it in wraps before, but hadn't thought of putting it on toast. What a great flavor combinations for a fresh "sandwich"!

    ReplyDelete