10.23.2011

Ramekin Frittatas with Kale, Mint & Pecorino



When aimless downtown wandering brought me to the threshold of Barnes & Noble yesterday I naturally landed in the cookbook section. And there, with its bold cover prominently propped among lesser inviting titles, I saw the next addition to my culinary library: Dutch food stylist Yvette Van Boven's Home Made. The hefty DIY-inspired book is laden with recipes that lend themselves to luscious full-page photographs, seemingly effortless in their rustic styling. A creative host of ingredients grace chapters devoted to techniques on everything from homemade cheese-making to smoking meat and beyond. It's the type of book that inspires you to be fearless in the kitchen; just the kind of tool I need in my armory. Unable to take it with me at that moment, I was nonetheless inspired by a simple frittata recipe with a unique combination of mint, spinach and pecorino. Already equipped with a bounty of fresh mint, and intrigued by its use in an egg dish, I created my own version using kale and pepitas.  


RAMEKIN FRITTATAS WITH KALE, MINT & PECORINO
[Makes 4 mini frittatas]

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp freshly chopped mint
1 cup wilted kale
olive oil
sea salt
cracked black pepper
pepitas, for garnish
shaved pecorino, for garnish

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, add kale and saute until wilted.
3. In a medium bowl combine 4 eggs and 1/4 cup milk, whisking until beaten. Add salt and pepper, chopped mint and kale, stirring to combine.
4. Divide mixture between four ramekin dishes and top with shaved pecorino and pepitas.
5. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, or until eggs have puffed up and the cheese has browned.
6. Serve in ramekin dishes or remove to a plate.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is such a unique combination of ingredients. Have to try these; bookmarking for sure:)

    ReplyDelete