8.28.2012

Molasses Granola



When you've nailed it, you know. I've been baking my own granola for a while, and swore never again to buy it because a) it's super easy to make, and b) each batch is like a personal mood board -- ("Oh, last time I used almonds and currants? This time I want cashews and coconut.") But I recently broke my store-no-more promise and tried a version from KIND. I was instantly charmed. With a glance at the ingredients, my mouth curled into a grin -- before me was a list of familiar, pronounceable names -- ideal ammo for a DIY granolateer.

KIND uses gluten-free ingredients, and their base includes a mix of whole grains like amaranth, quinoa, oats, millet and buckwheat. I simplified a bit and used ingredients I had on hand, pairing rolled oats with quinoa and flaxseed meal, chocking it up with crushed walnuts and flax seeds, and dressing it in olive oil, maple syrup, and a game-changing ingredient: molasses. Not sure why I'd never thought to use the viscous player before, but when the granola came out of the oven I knew I had found my secret weapon. Molasses lends a deep, dark flavor that weaves itself in and over the oats and seeds in a way that I have never achieved with my maple or honey-sweetened batches. I don't know, maybe I'm partial to products of my own creation, but I think I may have one-upped KIND on their own recipe...

MOLASSES GRANOLA

1 1/2 cup rolled oats 
1/4 cup raw quinoa 
1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal 
1/2 cup crushed walnuts 
2 Tbsp flaxseeds 
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds 
2 Tbsp olive oil 
2 Tbsp maple syrup 
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp molasses 
 Sea salt, to taste

Heat oven to 300 dgF. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Add oil, maple syrup, and molasses; stir until ingredients are evenly coated. Spread granola onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, stirring every 15, until toasted and golden. Allow to cool completely before serving or storing. Lasts several weeks in an airtight container/jar.

12 comments:

  1. Your version sounds wonderful--I, too, like the creativity of DIY granola. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That granola sounds wonderful! Perfect for breakfast or a quick snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought of including molasses in granola, sounds delicious. I'm glad I bumped into your blog through a different one. Delicious yet not overly complicated food. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey just saw this new blog, it's pretty good. You guys should check it out. It's http://deliciousyumfood.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice one....
    try this one....
    http://momskitchen001.blogspot.in/2012/09/baby-corn-paneer-delight.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a healthy and yummy breakfast or snack, can't wait to try this, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a note to myself to make this when you posted it, thinking I'd want it in the depths of Fall or Winter. But I was feeling so tired today and perhaps it was because I remembered that this has molasses in it (and molasses is a good source of iron) I became obsessed with making it tonight. I can smell it baking right now and the molasses is exactly what I want and need. Thank you for nourishing us. Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molasses seems to be a cure all in my book too. I made a batch yesterday and it definitely set me on the right track for the week...

      Delete
  8. Where are you? I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I love that you add the quinoa! Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to receiving your e-mail updates. This cranola look wonderful. I cannot tell you how much I love cranola. I munch on it for a snack and for breakfast. I blog about my family's favorite recipes, vacations, and more at: www.recipesforourdailybread.com Visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore homemade granola, but never tried molasses in my granola! Sounds interesting... Thanks for sharing!

    Mica
    Customer recommendations for Austin Towing Company

    ReplyDelete